Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2009

Have you heard the one about the balloon salesman and the Tour Guide?

Think of some of the great big screen, big love, couples. Bogey and Bacall, Scarlett and Rhett, Katie and Hubble, Harry and Sally, Babe and Farmer Hogget - OK maybe not them.( just wanted to make sure you were paying attention) Now you can add Carl and Ellie to the list. Carl and Ellie are the soul mates of all soul mates in the new Disney/Pixar film, Up. I don't want to write a spoiler review here, so I won't say much more other than how skillful the film makers had to be to create two characters the audience falls in love with, within a nano-second of the opening credits and had me in tears in the first 10 minutes of the movie. Not just me - most of the audience too. In fact, if I wasn't so practiced at stopping it, I could have launched into what Oprah refers to as the "ugly cry". The all out noisy sobbing we only allow ourselves when no one is around to hear. In this country anyway. I've always felt the true hallmark of a great film is one that can make me laugh and cry.....and think. Up scored on all counts. Nothing new or controversial in the thinking part, just a reminder to live in the moment and count your blessings. Who among us doesn't need to be reminded to do that once in awhile? Go see Up. Get reminded. Bring tissue.

No comments: