Search This Blog

Thursday, July 16, 2009

The "Stuff" of Life

Just finished removing millions of little pieces of tape from the shelves and bins of my new fridge. OK, so maybe not millions, but it took me about half an hour to get them all off, some easier than others and so now you have the answer - the new fridge finally arrived in one piece this morning.(third time was the charm) I have to wait 24 hours for the temperature to stabilize before I can transport the shed fridge contents back to the kitchen, but at least I will have a functioning kitchen for the weekend. I thought for years that I was deprived because I didn't own a stainless steel fridge with a water and ice dispenser - seemed like everyone else in my world had one and I was still sticking my fridge magnets onto a classic white beauty. So now that it's finally here, standing proudly in my kitchen, how does it feel? A bit anti-climactic actually. Just another "thing". Have to admit, I look forward to the instant ice and water, a little luxury I have never had. Other than that, I'm pretty over it. I'm more concerned with getting some order back in the house than anything. I am at a point in my life where "things" aren't exciting me as much as they used to. I'm pretty sure this is a good thing, but I might be in the wrong line of work. My work is all about "things". I still appreciate good design and admire it where ever I go, but I don't have the longing to own it for myself that I once did. As long as I don't turn into my grandmother, who lived with the same living room furniture her entire life and never seemed bothered by it. I do still get bored with some of my "things" and need to shake things up now and again. I think it's all part of the mid-life crisis I am going through now. It's a great way to save a little cash, that's one good out-come of my attitude appreciated by my husband in particular. But that's not my motivation. Just a side-effect. Mostly, I don't want to waste any more time looking for new "things". I'd rather spend it being creative here or in my garden or in my work. I sense a new and improved Deb on the horizon and I'm starting to like her more and more. Hope you do to.

No comments: