Search This Blog

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pass the Butter Please!


OK - so Day 3 of the cleanse.  Here's the update.  Stepped on the scale and was pleasantly surprised to be down 3 lbs.  Let's face it, getting rid of toxins is not the only reason to embark on a cleanse!  It's been weeks since I felt a sense of lightness upon rising, so it was welcome for sure.

The food is more than enough in terms of quantity and as I said before, the feeling of filling the temple with nothing but goodness is a combination of loving yourself and fueling your body as it was meant to be fueled.  Nothing artificial or harmful going in and plenty coming out!  Seriously though, the laxative component of the herbal supplements is not too bad - fairly mild in fact, but noticeable for certain.

It was time to restock the veggie bins in the fridge, so after a wonderful one hour session with my massage therapist (helpful in detoxing as well) this morning, I headed to the grocery store for fresh supplies.  I noticed myself being drawn to a few things on the "no" list, especially the tropical fruits.  I usually include these in my regular diet so having to veer around them is not easy.  I love melon and mango and they are not allowed as they are too sweet and part of the idea is to wean off sugar, even naturally occurring sugars, so those will have to wait.

And forget the entire dairy aisle - the only thing that entered the cart from that row was butter - the one dairy product on the "yes" list!  Funny how I hardly used any butter before this, but now that the D-tox gods have said I can, WHY NOT?  Of course this is in moderation but it sure helps cooked veggies taste decadent!  

Curbing snack cravings is a no-brainer.   I never leave the house without a bag of organic apple slices and almonds.  The perfect fat/protein/carb snack.  It works for me.  Coffee has been pretty much replaced with green tea.  I do still have one cuppa joe in the morning but without cream it really does not hold the same appeal for me.  Maybe by Day 12 I will be used to it but it is doubtful.

Some of my favourite ways to prepare salmon are off the list, so I came up with a new one which I will share here for you.  It was delicious and if you are not a fan of cilantro, you could replace it with fresh basil.  Either would work.  

I am not suffering from any of the side effects other than a mild head ache that was very short-lived and a bit of achiness in my lower back - the mild flu-like symptoms he said could possibly occur.

As I am not working right now, I have time to devote to food prep and planning that when I was working full time might have been more difficult, but still doable if you are organized.  You can keep it very simple or make it more complex depending on how demanding your taste-buds are.  

The butter is a godsend in this department as it really does make any cooked vegetable taste sublime!  Add a squirt of fresh lemon or lime to any buttered green, some sea salt and pepper and suddenly a serving of Swiss Chard is the main event in my mind.  I find as I enjoy more and varied veggies, my desire for poultry or meat decreases as well.  I just had a big salad of mixed greens, a scoop of the aforementioned Quinoa Salad, sliced avocado and was going to add some leftover chicken, but decided the chicken would actually compete with the freshness of the salad and since there were already walnuts and avocado giving it some substance, it was just right the way it was.  Filling too.

So, without further ado ... my version of "allowable" Salmon.

Salmon with Cilantro Pesto and Toasted Pine Nuts 

2 Salmon Fillets (Atlantic or Organic are best)
Half a bunch of fresh cilantro
1 tbs butter softened
2 cloves garlic
2 green onions
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts

Using a food chopper or food processor, chop garlic fine, add onions, chop fine, add cilantro, chop fine.  Add butter and oil and process until a coarse paste.  Lay salmon out on a baking sheet on parchment paper.  Spread paste over top of fish.  Press pine nuts into top until covered.  Bake at 415 F for 20 minutes.  DO NOT OVERCOOK!  Pinenuts should be golden brown.  Serves 2.



No comments: