Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Silk and Crystal Tie the Knot

As my house slowly returns to a semi-state of normalcy after a mini-reno, I find myself disinterested in re-hanging the old art or adding back the old accessories. I still like some of it, but I can't get excited about any of it. The trouble with a freshly painted space is, I want the rest to be fresh too and it's not. So I am procrastinating. I have leaned much of the art where I think it will hang. I have not unpacked the precious accessories or even the not so precious ones.
The new chandelier is the only thing I am excited about and it is presenting an installation problem. So it sits in the dining room bay window teasing me, taunting me, begging me to hang him. He knows how badly I want to see him dangling from the ceiling medallion in all his new glory. Each time I pass by him, I stare at him with longing. I yearn to see him all lit up, fresh shades attached to his tiny bulbs, glowing on a dark winter night above the old dining table. I find his presence there almost cruel now, as we try to figure out a way to get him mounted.
As I await the day he will hang, the dining table is cast aside so the moment the installation happens, the floor beneath will be open and available. Last night I used this wide open space to exercise. I laid my mat on the dining room carpet and stretched and crunched surrounded by the new open space. It added an air of formality to my routine that gave it a freshness I did not expect. It made me think that working out in a pretty room was not a bad idea and that it might even motivate me to work harder. It was enjoyable, but I'm not certain it made me work harder.
As I huffed and puffed, I studied the space and changed my mind about the new window treatments that I am about to introduce. So, in a way, you could say it did make me HAVE to work harder. Work harder at making more money that is. One of the things that has always surprised my clients over the years is the price tag on window treatments. There is no other way to say it - they are ridiculously expensive. Sure, you can go to Ikea and dress your window with whatever flimsy blind or curtain they have available at the moment, but to truly do a window justice, you really must reach deeper into your pocketbook. It doesn't matter if you do blinds, shutters, shades, drapes or something more elaborate, once you are doing anything custom - CHA-CHING!
With all of my connections in this business, even I cannot go cheap here. Well, I could, but it would not suit the rooms and as we all know, you get what you pay for. In this case, truer words were never spoken. Even keeping it simple is not cheap. An undressed window is just that. Naked. Exposed. It allows the sun to become an enemy to your furniture and carpets. There are instances where bare windows are desirable - but unless you gaze upon the Pacific Ocean, The Rockies or Central Park, I would not recommend it.
And the pairing of some silk panels with a handsome chandelier is a marriage made in decorating heaven that every house deserves.
If mine ever finally do walk down the aisle, you can pop over and see the new couple once the honeymoon is over. I want them all to myself for a couple of weeks.
Even if I have to do sit-ups in front of them while they get used to each other. Hope they don't mind me perving.

1 comment:

Carla Sandrin said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your new colours, new drapes and chandelier at your next book club evening, if not before! Keep us posted...

Meantime, continue to enjoy the fresh perspective while you exersise!