Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Toxicity BEGONE!


It has been 12 days since I left my dead-end job and as I said to someone the other day, it is taking some time shaking off the toxicity of that place, so it is only natural that I am now embarking on a physical cleanse as well.

It seems like the right thing to do as our body, mind and spirit are so closely intertwined.  I believe we carry negative energy in our bodily cells and just leaving my job may not be quite enough to rid my body and spirit of that draining energy.  An old friend from Vancouver just happened to mention the Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox program to me about a week ago - no coincidence I am convinced.  The universe always seems to present what is needed when it is needed.

I googled some info about it and decided to give it a whirl.  I started yesterday.  I have done cleanses before and this one is not unlike some others I have tried. The herbal supplements will aid in the d-tox aspect and the diet guidelines are quite simple.  I was actually following this sort recommended eating style for the last three years although lately had started to slip into some old bad habits that needed to be nipped in the bud.  The plan is essentially protein, lots of veggies, some fruits (not tropical), no sugar, no dairy and no alcohol. The cessation of my daily glass of plonk seemed likely to be the most difficult aspect, but knowing it is only for 12 days, I think I can survive!

The amazing thing about starting any new eating program is the blatant revelation that comes on the first day when you realize how many things you had been letting slip.  Suddenly every morsel that slips past your lips must be considered carefully and labels must be scrutinized and corkscrews must be safely tucked away for another day. 

I actually embraced Day 1.  It was good to feel in control again.  I felt creative in my approach to mealtimes.  There is something almost 'holy" about knowing that every bite of food that enters my body is like a "healing".  Fresh, organic, additive free.  That whole "my body is a temple" attitude reigns. If we could only hold on to that thought everyday it would result in increased energy and a vibrancy that may have been lacking the day before as we were scarfing down that Ham and Cheese croissant from Ma Maison with a foamy latte, nary a concern about the wheat and butter, salty pork and high fat dairy and caffeine we were ingesting, leaving a thick layer of gooey fat all over the temple floor.  It's a slippery slope.  Time to clean up.

So, I will keep you posted as to my 12 day journey with Dr. Terry Willard's program.  He is a Ph.D and Clinical Herbalist who lives in nature in our very own province of Alberta.  He owns an organic herb farm on the Eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains outside of Calgary. He has written several books on the topic and so I trust his advice and recommendations.  You can pick up the D-Tox kit at Healthy Planet - $31.99 for a 12 day supply.  I have also heard  you can get it at other health stores and Whole Foods.

I will also share some recipes that I have created.  There is a book available for those of you who need more guidance, but I have been down this road before and can usually pull a rabbit out of my hat with 'allowable" ingredients like I did twice yesterday with delicious results.

Here is a recipe for a Quinoa "Waldorf" (that's my name for it, anyway).




Quinoa Waldorf Salad

1 cup dried organic Quinoa cooked and cooled.
1 large stalk celery diced small
5 green onions chopped including tops
1 large carrot diced small
1 organic gala apple diced small
1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1/3 cup walnut pieces
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Sea Salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all up in a bowl and serve chilled.  Will keep refrigerated for 3-4 days.

No comments: