Search This Blog

Monday, August 17, 2009

Wasting away again in Margaritaville

So nice that summer has finally decided to grace us with her presence. As a pool owner, I appreciate it even more, since I finally am actually using my pool to cool off. We renovated our pool about 3 years back and when we did, we got rid of the ancient old clunker of a heater. It was not located in the proper spot according to code and we thought we would save on the expense and the environment by using a solar blanket instead. Great idea in theory, but when the summer months are cool and rainy, the solar blanket doesn't stand a chance. Like this one. With a few hot days, the water has warmed up nicely and for the first time this summer I was glad to have this pool. I also indulged in my annual (whether I need it or not) float around the pool in my floaty thingy, cold drink at the ready and worked on my tan. I know that people without pools think that people with pools do this sort of thing all the time. But, au contraire! I use the pool, but more for a quick dip to cool off after cutting the lawn or weeding the garden and more recently for exercising, but never to just float around like a slacker. Usually, pool owners are busy entertaining around the pool, or watching the kids frolic in the pool, or maintaining the gardens around the pool - rarely enjoying the pool. So it was lovely this weekend when I did and if I closed my eyes I could almost imagine I was somewhere tropical, as long as I didn't open my eyes and look at the swaying walnut tree branches over in the corner or the cedar tree by the gate - the native greenery a dead give away for a Canadian back yard. And admittedly, there was no pool boy with a tray of pina coladas, but I did take the odd trip to the beer fridge in the shed and that was pretty good. So when I finish writing this, I may go out and give it another shot - this hot weather will be fleeting and I wrapped up work early for the day - what the hell? Summer is short and this year it was late. Get it while the getting is good. Margarita anyone?

No comments: