Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

If you don't have anything nice to say.......

Tomorrow will be the day - I can feel it. I came as close as I ever have to breaking 90 on the golf course yesterday, but I fell apart on the back nine and didn't quite get there. I was all my husband's fault. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I shot a 44 on the front and was feeling pretty cocky and confident and despite the fact that it was a personal best for me, SOMEONE felt compelled to point out what I was still doing wrong. My husband is my coach and I know that anyone who has ever tried coaching their spouse will attest, this is not always a good plan. As much as his advice over the years has helped my game enormously, I am getting to a stage in my game and in my life where I am not really all that interested in his pointers. We golf together quite a bit and it has been nice to have a common interest, but there are times when it can be a recipe for disaster. Yesterday was one of those days. So tomorrow as we head out once again for a round of 18, he has promised to keep his comments to himself. I think that is a great idea as I am still trying to keep the image of my nine iron wedged in the back of his cranium out of my head. Or was it my five? It's all a little blurry now. The problem with spousal advice on the links is not the advice itself, it is how the advice is delivered. I said to him - "If I were a stranger, you would say things to me in a more diplomatic fashion." I was told that coaches are hard on their students in every sport. That may be true, but I'm not training to get into the LPGA here, I just want to be able to golf well enough that I don't embarrass myself and can feel good enough about my game to join in with anyone. He acts like he's grooming me for the big leagues. My new approach will be - "Don't say anything unless I ask you. One more word and I'm hiring the guy in the photo above." We'll see how that works. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: