Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Invisible New Me

I felt good today. You know - like I looked good and woke up with that hollow feeling in my stomach. The day was laid out before me with plans to play tennis in the morning (always a great way to start the day) followed by shopping and lunch out with my daughter so she could spend a little of her birthday money and pick up a couple of new things for back to school tomorrow. One of the best things about today is that tomorrow I finally have my house back to myself - husband back to work, kid back to school, the official first day of a new routine. I wanted to start off this new season with a little something fresh for myself as well, so while Emma was off looking at stuff that interested her at the mall, I decided it was time for a new look myself. My old glasses have gotten to the point where I can actually see better with them off, they are so scratched. I refuse to get that scratch resistant coating on them as the one time I gave in to that sales pitch, I regretted it until the end of that pair's life. If you have never had that coating put on, you won't know what I'm talking about, but if you have then you know that every little smudge of a finger or speck of dust requires a thorough cleaning with a special cloth, and that just drove me nuts. So now, I just tell them - no coatings, just the bare lenses and when they get scratched, I'll get new ones, which I do anyway every two years, so why bother? So as promised, my new progressives were ready in one hour and I went from dark framed edgy looking frames to a much lighter look. The lower half of the frame is unframed and the top half of the frame is gold. I look completely different. A handsome looking couple next to me in the shop watched as I tried on several different styles and they agreed with my choice. They also provided me the laugh of the day. As I modeled the various choices, the wife would yeah or nay and the husband sat quietly saying nothing. Then she turned to her better half and prompted him for his opinion. He looked over at me and said, and I quote, "Well the truth is, the first thing I usually notice about a woman is her ass, but those frames look the best on you, I agree with my wife." "Well, at least you're honest," I said as I laughed. I couldn't help but wonder if he had checked out my ass earlier in the shop, but I wasn't about to ask his opinion on that. I figured I'd better quit while I was ahead. So I have been wearing my new specs for a couple of hours now and Emma and I are waiting to see how long it takes for my husband to notice. I should just say something to him and get it over with, but instead I will simmer and stew about his complete oblivion to what I consider a major change in the way I look. So, this is a shout out to all men out there. You NEED to notice these things. Not only do you need to notice them, you need to dole out a compliment or two. It's not bloody rocket science. It is SIMPLE. When you come through the door at the end of the day, take a quick survey of your surroundings. Look at your significant other for any obvious differences. It only takes a second. Did she get her hair cut? Is she wearing something new? Did she go from brunette to blonde? DID SHE GET NEW GLASSES???? Seemingly simple. Apparently not.

1 comment:

Carla Sandrin said...

Unfortunately, I think men are hard-wired not to notice these things. But there's no loss in trying...to encourage them, that is.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new glasses!