Search This Blog

Saturday, September 5, 2009

You're never too old or too jaded to learn something New

I saw a movie last night that made me question myself somewhat. Overall the film was fairly lame from a critic's point of view, but I was in the mood for something light and non-thought provoking. As it turned out, it did provoke some thought. Thoughts about how I found myself laughing (quite heartily I might add) at the most sexist jokes and then even found myself liking the guy who was spewing them. If you haven't seen it, I wouldn't go so far as to say you should, but if you do, (and I am talking to my female readers here), I would be curious to know what you felt and if you found his approach attractive in any way. Of course the director did a good job of making his character somewhat sympathetic, but I found myself almost embarrassed to be laughing at what were clearly very crude one-liners coming from his mouth. The fact was, the cruder he got, the more I liked him. Initially you did not know if he was serious about his opinions or if he was just doing it for shock value, so there was a short segment of the film where sympathy toward him had not yet developed. That's when, upon review, I had to ask myself, did I like him even then? There was something about his blatant raw macho honesty about what he believed men wanted that was almost refreshing in this age of equality and political correctness. He was a walking talking version of that old joke about the "perfect woman". You know the one - What is a guy's idea of the perfect woman? After sex she turns into a case of beer and a pizza. If that joke offends you, do NOT go see The Ugly Truth, because it is rich with exactly that kind of humour. I didn't notice anyone walking out of the theatre, and I did hear a lot of laughter, especially from the women in the audience, so maybe I am not alone. Mike, cast perfectly by Gerard Butler (most recently appearing in 300) was the perfect foil for the lovely and politically correct Abby (Katherine Heigl). The story was completely predictable and we all knew they would both change their tunes by the end, but it was fun to watch and even more fun to listen to the dialogue. And just when I thought I had heard every possible description of the female anatomy, I learned a new one when Mike asked Abby just how often she "flicked the bean". I'll let you figure that one out ladies - but it should be pretty obvious. Apparently this guy had no qualms about asking or saying anything and that is why that type of humour works. It's why comics like Chris Rock, George Carlin, Richard Pryor all succeed(ed). They don't hold back. They say what others are afraid to say and the shock of their words hits you as hard as the images they conjure. I will also add, (and this may make it worth paying the admission ladies), there is a scene toward the end of the movie where Mike and Abby dance that is possibly one of the hottest dance scenes I've seen in some time. Katherine Heigl is truly at her peak beauty these days, and she is wearing a white dress that fits her like a glove, accentuating every perfect curve of her body and Gerard Butler's eyes completely devour her the entire time.....and it turns out, he can dance too. That scene alone is almost enough to get any woman thinking about "flicking the bean." I may even have to rent this one when it comes out. A second look can't hurt.

No comments: