Search This Blog

Sunday, March 1, 2009

One of The Greatest Stories Ever Told

Ok, so admittedly, Sunday mornings are pretty similar to Saturday mornings in my house (see yesterday's blog) so I guess you could say either I'm not too imaginative or I just like to stretch the peaceful routine over 2 days. There are occasions when the routine is interrupted with a plan to go somewhere early in the day, but for the most part it does not change. This morning, instead of getting up right away (my bed felt so soft and warm and cozy) I laid in bed and finished The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. Every now and again, a book is so powerful, a character so compelling, it is difficult to put down and I never want the story to end. This is one of those books. I felt this way about A Fine Balance, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns to name but a few. It's one of those books that makes you feel grateful for your life and how easy it has been. When was the last time I went without food or water or clothing or shelter? That would be...... never! It speaks to the incredible power of the human spirit to survive. The main character, an African woman named Aminata Diallo will now be forever etched upon my brain (and I'm not great at remembering names). This is the kind of story that if read by everyone on the planet could and should unite nations, end racisim and create an ideal world. This is a story that has been told before, but it makes me ponder - how many times do these stories need to be told before we get it? We humans really are a bit slow, aren't we? We think we're so smart and educated but we sure do take our time to make the changes that really matter. I see I have departed from trying to keep my blogs on the lighter more humourous side, but this morning after reading this book, being funny seems oddly sacriligious. I also don't want to be preachy (oops, too late!). Oh well, if this blog gets a few more people to read a great story, my work here is done. Time for me to get back to my routine - see if the newspaper has anything to cheer me up (what are the odds?).

No comments: