Search This Blog

Friday, July 24, 2009

Humbled yet Again

So, I'm at the driving range last night practicing (god knows I need all I can get) and I step up to mat with my 5 iron and knock about 10 perfect shots straight out, land them around the 150 yard marker and think, "Well, that club is working for me," and then I grab my 9 iron and again, they go where I'm aiming and I'm getting them up nice and high, landing them about 100 yards out, and I think to myself, "Wow, this club is working too." Figuring by now, I don't really need to practice afterall, I pull out my driver. I go from confident and cocky to frustrated and embarrassed in about a nano-second. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I've got the yips with my driver and no matter what I change up, nothing seems to make a difference. I adjust my stance. I change my grip. I become aware of my shoulder drop and stop it. I slow down my back swing. I tee it up a bit higher. It still hooks left. Then, miraculously, I hit a straight one. Once. The next one heads left again. What did I do with the last one? I try to image it. The image is gone. In the spring, I was hitting my driver great. I was so sure I had mastered the damn thing finally. On the course the other day, I hit 14 out of 18 fairways and hit one drive 280 yards. What was I doing different that day? Why can't I be consistent? These are the questions that plague me now. And don't even get me started on my 3 Wood - that club never comes out of my bag - I hate that club. I have hit it well on occasion, but I can never count on a good result, so I use my 4 iron or a rescue club instead and let the cobwebs grow on that thing. What is it about this game that keeps me coming back for more abuse? Oh- right, now I remember. It's for those days that all the planets are aligned and all your shots go where you want them to and you watch the flight of your ball with awe and for a few fleeting moments, you are a real golfer. You think to yourself, "Gee, if only my parents had got me started in this sport earlier, I could be doing this for a living." But it's never long before you get a reality check and you shank one off the toe, or take 2 or 3 out of the bunker and once again.... I am humbled.

No comments: